Here is some general advice to help children stay safe online:
Use and follow the advice that you have been given in school.
- Some social networking sites have a minimum age of 13 years (click here to find out more)
- Only use adult moderated networking sites.
- Do not stay in a chat room if anyone says anything that makes you feel uncomfortable or worried. Tell a parent/adult immediately.
- Be a critical user by considering “is this information true?”
- Tell a parent/adult if you receive a message that is scary, threatening or rude, do not respond to the message – log off.
- Do not send anyone your photograph.
- Never meet up with someone you have met in cyberspace without your parents’ permission.
- Never give out your password to others.
- Don’t be tempted to send or follow ‘chain mails’.
Enjoy your time on the internet in a safe manner and remember there are other things that you can also do: such as read a good book; play with their friends; spend time with family and participate in sport.